Description: The Modified Asthma Predictive Index is an assessment tool that predicts future atopic asthma in pediatric patients with recurrent wheezing. It is only applicable in young children with four or more episodes of wheezing per year. The mAPI’s predictive ability depends heavily on prevalence of asthma in the general population.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Family Physicians
- General Practitioners
- Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Respiratory Educators
When might they use this tool?
- When providing care to a pediatric patient with suspected asthma
Why might they use this tool?
- To identify the likelihood that preschool-age children will develop asthma
- To aid clinical decision making in assessing future asthma risk for preschool-age children
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- This tool provides a score that applies to pediatric patients ≤3 years old
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.