Description: The Severe and Difficult to Control Asthma Referral Tool is intended to help healthcare practitioners determine whether patients require an asthma referral based on medication, control, and Canadian Thoracic Society Asthma Control criteria.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Family Physicians
- Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Respiratory Therapists
- Certified Respiratory Educators
When might they use this tool?
- During asthma visit
Why might they use this tool?
- To identify whether a patient has severe asthma
- To guide the decision on when to refer a patient to a specialist
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- This tool is a digital guide
- This tool can be integrated into EMRs
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.