Description: An educational resource that provides patients with information on how to use and care for their inhaler. It provides information to assess asthma factors, the relationship of asthma to work, occupational asthma, and work-exacerbated asthma.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Prescribing health care providers
- Family Physicians
- Academic Healthcare Professionals
- Certified Respiratory Educators
- Nurse Practitioners
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Staff
- Registered Respiratory Therapists
- Although intended for healthcare providers, asthma patients and their caregivers can use this tool to take their health care providers to discuss medication options
When might they use this tool?
- When a patient is newly diagnosed with asthma and starting medications
- When a patient is switching asthma medications
- When a patient’s asthma is not well controlled
Why might they use this tool?
- To ensure that a patient is using their delivery device(s) properly and receiving all their medications to manage their asthma
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- These instructional sheets include written and visual cues/information to aid in learning
- This tool is provided in several formats (e.g., it is online and downloadable)
- This tool is available in English, French, Cree, Dene
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.