Description: This resource provides usable, practical search algorithms that accurately identify patients with asthma in existing electronic medical records. Clinicians can apply algorithms to generate asthma registries for targeted quality improvement initiatives and outcome measurements.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Primary Care Practitioners
- Administrators who would like to identify patients with asthma in their electronic medical record system (e.g., for care initiatives or quality improvement projects)
When might they use this tool?
- Can be used at any time, and would typically be run as a query, outside of clinical interactions
Why might they use this tool?
- To accurately identify patients with asthma within the electronic medical record system
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- There are options for both very sensitive detection algorithms and very specific detection algorithms, and others that combine sensitivity and specificity as best possible
- Depending on the indication for usage, one might select between these different detection algorithms
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.