Description: The Mild Asthma Decision Aid is a tool designed to engage patients with asthma and their care providers in discussions about current asthma treatment options. The tool helps them to reach a shared decision on treatment that is based on scientific evidence and each individual patient’s goals and preferences.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Patients with mild asthma
- Family Physicians
- Primary Care Practitioners
When might they use this tool?
- Patient version: before or after a visit
- Provider version: during a visit
Why might they use this tool?
- Patient Version:
- To access patient friendly information
- To learn about treatment options (e.g., selecting an inhaler therapy approach)
- To gain certainty and confidence about their choices
- To be able to raise questions they may not have previously considered
- Provider version:
- To access a conversation aid with a 1-page reference to understand pros and cons of various therapeutic options
- To maximize patient satisfaction and adherence
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- This tool offers a patient decision aid, and a conversation aid meant to be used by providers with patients at the point of care
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.