Description: Healthcare providers can use this decision aid to help people with asthma make informed decisions about their choice of inhaler in relation to its contribution to climate change. The information is consistent with the NICE guideline on asthma and the SIGN/BTS guideline on asthma and is based on the best available evidence.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Families and caregivers
- Family Physicians
- Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Respiratory Therapists
- Certified Respiratory Educators
When might they use this tool?
- When a patient wants to educate themselves on their healthcare options, based on evidence-based information
Why might they use this tool?
- To provide information on likely outcomes, benefits, harms, and uncertainties
- To inform conversations between a patient and their primary care provider
- Enabling paitents to make informed choices in line with their personal values and preferences
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- This tool can be used in line with NICE’s guideline on asthma diagnosis, monitoring, and management
- It does not cover managing severe asthma or acute asthma attacks
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.