Description: The Provider Asthma Assessment Form (PAAF) is a point of care asthma management tool for primary care EMRs. It is adapted from the LHF asthma care map and includes the PRESTINE asthma data elements, asthma performance indicators, and an algorithm to identify severe uncontrolled asthma. To date, it is implemented in OSCAR at the Queen’s Family Health Team.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Primary Care/Family Physicians
- General Practitioners
- Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Respiratory Educators
When might they use this tool?
- In everyday clinic for asthma managment, especially when attempting to confirm mild, moderate, or severe diagnosis of asthma
- When supporting a patient with asthma management
- When considering to refer to a specialist for severe and/or uncontrolled asthma
Why might they use this tool?
- To use an EMR-optimized asthma charting tool in primary care practice for asthma diagnosis and continued management
- To access integrated decision support and aids in confirming:
- Objective asthma diagnosis (i.e., spirometry, methacholine challenge)
- Appropriate medication dosing
- Severe and/or uncontrolled asthma
- When referring to a specialist would be appropriate for severe/uncontrolled asthma
- To practice performance evaluation and quality insurance
- To access a simplified point-of-care form to diagnosis, manage and address patients’ asthma
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- This tool can be integrated into EMR systems
- This tool can be used for quality improvement and continued surveillance of asthma management practices
- This tool complies validated Primary Care Asthma Performance Indicators (PC-APIs)
- This tool is congruent with CTS asthma care guidelines, Primary Care Asthma Performance Indicators, and is adapted from the LHF Asthma Care Map
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.