Description: The Asthma Medications tool by RESPTREC and Lung Sask is an infographic tool that provides a list of available asthma medications, according to the categories of corticosteroids, combination inhalers, and bronchodilators.
Decision Support Guidance
Who might use this tool?
- Prescribing health care providers and educators
- Family Physicians
- Academic healthcare professionals
- Certified Respiratory Educators
- Nurse Practitioners
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Staff
- Registered Respiratory Therapists
- Although intended for healthcare providers, asthma patients and their caregivers may use this tool to take to their provider to discuss medication options
When might they use this tool?
- When patients are newly diagnosed with asthma
- When patients require a medication switch in the same class of medications
- When patients do not have controlled asthma
- When patients require a change in medication and/or require additional medications
Why might they use this tool?
- To help them determine medication options in varied/the same medication classes
- To provide, at a glance, medications, dosing, and delivery devices that are available to patients with asthma
What are important considerations when using this tool?
- This tool is provided in several formats (e.g., it is online and downloadable)
- This tool does not provide guideline details as to when medications and certain dosages should be prescribed
LHF has developed the Tool descriptions and Decision Support Guidance with support from Tool authors, and a team of clinical- and research-based experts. If you would like to submit proposed revisions to a Tool, please reach out to us via the “Connect With Us” banner on the Toolkit homepage.